PeakTrader.com Forum Index PeakTrader.com
Economics, Portfolio Optimization, and Technical Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crowding-Out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Crowding-Out Reply with quote

PeakTrader:

Is there a better time to raise the minimum wage than when the labor market is strengthening with disinflation?

However, I wouldn’t place the entire burden on businesses, particularly small businesses.

So, we should also remove and reduce some of the $2 trillion a year in federal regulations and cut middle class taxes.

We can help the working poor, bring more people into the workforce, facilitate business start-ups and expansions, and turn entitlement spending into tax revenue.

The total effect depends upon how much growth you get in the crowding-in period and how much growth you lose in the crowding-out period.

Higher interest rates on a larger national debt crowds-out growth.

Paul Mathis, there’s more crowding-out than you think.

Paying interest on the national debt crowds-out other government spending, unless government borrows more or raises taxes.

If borrowing and spending or taxes doesn’t generate enough economic growth, like the past six years, interest payments on the national debt will eventually rise and crowd-out more growth.

It’s not realistic to assume interest rates will continue to fall, below zero, to offset more and more debt.

Baffling, GDP includes private investment and government. The point I was making is when over $5 trillion is borrowed, in six years, for little GDP growth, there’s a cost.

The cost will be a larger share of the federal budget going into interest payments (assuming interest rates can’t go much lower and begin to rise) or higher taxes. The result would be slower GDP growth.

I’ve explained before why growth has been so slow over this “recovery.” When one foot is on the accelerator and the other foot is on the brake, you either ease off the brake or floor the accelerator. It’s a lot cheaper to ease off the brake.

Baffling, I’m not saying what you’re saying. I’m saying what I’m saying.

The federal government, on a massive scale, borrowed and spent, while the Fed bought bonds, also on a massive scale, to crowd-in growth. Yet, the result was very weak growth.

The addition of more anti-growth policies to stimulative policies is one explanation why growth was so weak.

Now, there’s much more government debt with a huge Fed balance sheet, in this on-going depression, which will crowd-out and constrain future growth. It certainly won’t help.

----
Post new topic   Reply to topic     PeakTrader.com Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: