PeakTrader.com Forum Index PeakTrader.com
Economics, Portfolio Optimization, and Technical Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portfolio Optimization-Trading Gold Stocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic     PeakTrader.com Forum Index -> Portfolio Optimization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arthur

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Portfolio Optimization-Trading Gold Stocks Reply with quote

Trading Gold Stocks:

Gold Stocks: NEM AU PDG ABX GG GFI KGC BGO CBJ AEM HMY MFN RIC GOLD IAG DROOY

Silver Stocks: SIL HL PAAS CDE

Copper and Other: FCX SWE BHP PAL

Gold peaked at $850 and silver at $50 in Jan 1980, and then started a bear market, which ended in late 2000 when gold fell to $253. Gold and silver then started a bull market, in late 2000, rising to $430 in Jan 2004. Over the first half of 2004, gold fell to $375 during a correction. Currently, there may be consolidation with resistance at $430 before the bull market resumes. Gold and silver are pure commodities. Consequently, trading gold and silver stocks are similar to trading gold and silver prices (unless there are firm specific news affecting a particular stock). Therefore, arbitrage can be used to maximize return and minimize risk.

Recently, I bought GFI calls, because GFI was relatively undervalued compared to other gold stocks. However, GFI became even more relatively undervalued and stayed undervalued for several weeks. Nonetheless, GFI eventually rallied over 25% outperforming most other gold stocks. However, I sold the GFI calls too soon. Nonetheless, after I sold the GFI calls, I bought calls on AU another undervalued gold stock, which rose three points to 34 quickly (although I sold on a one point bounce, since the calls went way up). I then bought BGO stock below 2.20, it fell to 2.00, and then rallied to 2.70 within a week. After I sold BGO, I bought KGC, which rallied from 5.05 to 5.70, and then planned to buy ABX. However, ABX rallied sharply for two days and I missed that buying opportunity. DROOY late last week was relatively undervalued compared to other gold stocks. So, I bought DROOY at 1.90 on Thu, sold at 2.00 on Fri, and bought back at 1.88 that same day, on Fri.

NEM is currently near 45. So, I may buy NEM puts and keep the DROOY stock unless DROOY rises to 1.98 or higher. NEM is the gold leader. So, by watching NEM, along with the gold price, it can be determine if other gold stocks will rise or fall (XAU gold index has no volume, and NEM provides indications on volume). So, by comparing the prices of gold stocks, arbitrage opportunities exist to take advantage of undervalued or overvalued stocks. Also, I may add, the Gold to Oil Ratio is at its lowest level since 1920. Consequently, gold will need to rise or oil will need to fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     PeakTrader.com Forum Index -> Portfolio Optimization All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: