PeakTrader.com Forum Index PeakTrader.com
Economics, Portfolio Optimization, and Technical Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Trump Reply with quote

PeakTrader:

Why is asking an Asian-American asking a question about South Korea “Are you from South Korea?” a “clueless remark?”

There are a lot more foreign born – legal and illegal – residents in the U.S. today, including college students.

What if the student said he’s South Korean, Chinese, or Vietnamese attending school in the U.S. and wants to be a U.S. citizen someday?

I’m sure, Trump would’ve welcomed him as long as he did it legally.

---

Menzie Chinn:

Peak Trader: If you wonder about the answer to this question, then I think you should ask if Trump would have asked a caucasian asking about the UK the same question, with equal probability. If you say “yes”, then I think you are clearly in denial.

---

PeakTrader:

Menzie Chinn, the huge numbers of legal and illegal immigrants haven’t been coming from Europe.

---

Menzie Chinn:

Peak Trader: I didn’t know there’d been massive influx of legal and illegal immigration from South Korea.

---

PeakTrader:

Who knows where they come from? – not from Europe.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/asianamericans-graphics/

---

Menzie Chinn:

Peak Trader: Estimated Korean immigrant population in 2013 was less than that in 2010, suggesting minimal net immigration…

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/korean-immigrants-united-states

---

sherparick:

Actually, quite a few of have been, particularly Ireland, Italy, Greece, and Poland since the crisis. 6.3% of undocumented immigrants were born in Europe or Canada apparently. http://www.pewhispanic.org/2014/11/18/chapter-2-birthplaces-of-u-s-unauthorized-immigrants/ About 12% are Asian.

You can tell that someone gets their info from the Right Wing “Borg” when they start the sentence “Huge numbers … ” The country has population of 320 million people or thereabouts right now. 11 million undocumented immigrants is about a city a little smaller than New York, but is still only about 4% of the total number of people in the country.

---

PeakTrader:

Sherparick, your own data show twice as many illegal immigrants come from Asia than both Europe and Canada (and what about legal immigrants?).

I’ve never heard anyone say there are fewer than 11 million undocumented immigrants (since the early 2000s). Yet, the border control estimates 18 to 20 million, while the former ambassador to Mexico, Arturo Sarukhan, says 30 million.

How many tens of millions of legal and illegal immigrants would you consider “huge?”

---

Baffling:

steven, i would imagine with Choe born in texas and raised in colorado, he had a accent not reminiscent of a korean accent. he simply looked different, and as such was treated different. not really how we want to interact in a diverse society.

---

PeakTrader:

Baffling, if 74% of blue-eyed blonde people are foreign-born, like Asians, and one of them asks a question about Sweden, particularly a passionate question, is it unreasonable to ask “Are you from Sweden?”

And, how do you know the person asking the question isn’t a plant, e.g. by another campaign, and how do you know he was actually born in Texas?

Anyway, do you really trust NPR to provide honesty and neutrality in anything political?

---

Menzie Chinn:

PeakTrader: I’m sorry, I don’t understand your first sentence. It seems to be saying either that 74% of Asians are foreign born, or 74% of Asians are blue-eyed blonde people. Please clarify. Thanks in advance.

---

PeakTrader:

Menzie Chinn, I was responding to Baffling’s statement: “He simply looked different.” The link I posted above shows 74% of Asian-Americans 18 and older are foreign born. What if 74% of blue-eyed blond Americans 18 and older (not Asians) were foreign born?

---

Menzie Chinn:

PeakTrader: Ah, thanks. Now I understand what you were trying to say. My guess: the frequency of the question “where are you from” for blue-eyed blonde Americans would be lower than for the corresponding group of Asians. I think we could run an experiment to verify, sort of like the experiments run in the paper.

---

PeakTrader:

Menzie Chinn, you’re certainly better at that than me. I haven’t done that kind of work, since school.

---

Baffling:

peak,
“And, how do you know the person asking the question isn’t a plant, e.g. by another campaign, and how do you know he was actually born in Texas?”

conspiracy theorists unite. just like a black man named barrack obama could not have been born in the USA. he looks different (obama and choe) so he must be different. that is the first assumption made. it is a very poor way of looking at the world. if it is a valid question, what difference does it make where the person originates from? unless you believe in worldwide conspiracies…

and how do i know he was actually born in texas? because he said so. why should i assume he lied, because he looked different?

---

Menzie Chinn:

PeakTrader: By the way, what do you think of my estimate of Korean net immigration, 2010-13? You did not respond. Does Mr. Trump’s query still make perfect sense to you?

---

PeakTrader:

Menzie Chinn, I think, the bigger question is can someone who isn’t racist and sexist, but is instead realistic, honest, and fair, be perceived as racist and sexist?

Obviously yes.

It reminds me of one of my grad econ classes when the only girl in class told me “Economics is sexist.”

And, you know economists egos tower alongside Donald Trump’s.

---

Menzie Chinn:

PeakTrader: My experience is that most academic economists are pretty down-to-earth sorts. But maybe that’s just the people I associate with.

---

PeakTrader:

Menzie Chinn, I knew a Marxist economist, who looked at economics like her garden she worked in (the weak plants need more fertilizer, etc.). She was down to earth Smile

---
Post new topic   Reply to topic     PeakTrader.com Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: