PeakTrader.com Forum Index PeakTrader.com
Economics, Portfolio Optimization, and Technical Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obamacare

View previous topic :: View next topic  
administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Obamacare Reply with quote

PeakTrader:

Getting health care insurance is not the same as getting health care.

What if someone buys health care insurance and wants to use it, and then discovers, with millions of new users, doctors aren’t accepting new patients or there’s a long waiting list?

They wouldn’t be too happy, would they?

Particularly, since they fell behind on their bills, or stopped going to the Sizzler and Starbucks, because they had to buy health care insurance.

Spencer, not as many angels as you think.

Doctors Say Obamacare Rule Will Stick Them With Unpaid Bills
March 19, 2014
NPR

“Doctors worry they won’t get paid by some patients because of an unusual 90-day grace period for government-subsidized health plans.

So several professional groups for doctors are urging their members to check patients’ insurance status before every visit.

Consumer advocates say these checks could lead to treatment delays or denials for some patients.”

Government went in the wrong direction with Obamacare. Here’s what the son of a MD said:

“Dad worked 80 hours a week on average, including three weekends a month on call. Few breaks for holidays. We rarely saw him during the week. Divide $250k a year (just guessing – he wasn’t one to talk about money) into 4,000 hours a year and you get about 60 bucks an hour.

Out of that salary:

– 25% or more went to taxes

– $70-80k a year for malpractice insurance to protect his family and practice from all the worthless patient lawsuits by crooked lawyers.

– Salary for his administrative staff to process and follow up on reams of insurance and government paperwork.

– Costs of OSHA and other compliance overhead to run his clinic and x-ray machine.

I’m not saying we didn’t live comfortably. He took good care of us. Rather than credit his salary, I’d say God blessed him for all the pro-bono work he did for patients that couldn’t afford care but still took up his time. And trips to Africa on his own dime for medical missions.

I don’t know if these MD’s in other countries are as over-lawyered and over-regulated as US doctors are.”

My comment: Some potential MDs may find microbiology or biochemistry much better.

Spencer is the type of guy who would run down the street waving a piece of paper happily saying:

“I have health care insurance! – I have health care insurance! – thanks Obama – thanks Obama!”

Then, when he gets to the doctor’s office, there’s a sign that says:

“Closed – Out of business (Gone into microbiology).”

He goes to the doctor next door and sees a line – out the building, down the street, and around the corner.

Nancy Pelosi pulls-up in her limo and goes into the building to see the doctor upstairs, who doesn’t accept Obamacare, right away.

Joseph, I was imagining supply & demand.

How do you know people won’t be more likely to use health care, since they bought health care insurance? (are people more likely to see a dentist if they have dental insurance?).

And, where will the doctors come from? – The VA system?

Maybe, you want a health care system similar to the public school system. With the Bronze Plan you can go to an inner city doctor in Chicago Smile

“Whoops. That’s the tell.” Ignore quality and focus on race.

Why not ignore race and focus on quality instead?

Has playing “mom” with “THOSE people” really worked out well?

I don’t mind sharing doctors with “THOSE people.”

I do mind the quality difference between a PPO and a HMO, for example.

---

Other comments:

http://econbrowser.com/archives/2014/09/from-october-2013-the-obamacare-implosion-is-worse-than-you-think

---
Post new topic   Reply to topic     PeakTrader.com Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: